1890 – 2007
Founded as a 9 hole course in 1895 and eventually, following acquisition of additional land in 1928, extended to the present 18 holes measuring 6,355 yards, Goring & Streatley Golf Club has established itself in the hearts of members & visitors alike, as a mirror of the traditional and evolutionary trends in the game. The course has magnificent views of the Ridgeway & the River Thames winding like a silver ribbon on its way from Oxford to Reading and is situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty, which almost consoles the ravages of a bad round of golf!
From it’s foundation in 1895 with 52 members the club has grown steadily and now has 745 playing members. The highlights of our development are illustrated below:
|Army officers and friends led by Robert and Hugh Fife play “bumble puppy” golf in the meadows at Gatehampton, Goring.
|Field Barn Farm at Streatley, owned by Ernest Gardner, later Sir Ernest Gardner MP, viewed as potential for golf course.
|January – Tom Dunn, a golf professional and course architect from Bournemouth, invited by F T Shoolbred, of Thames Bank House, Goring to lay out nine hole golf course at Streatley. March – inaugural meeting of the golf club. First ‘clubhouse’ in parlour of cottage at Field Barn Farm (behind the present second teeing area). 16th April – first medal competition played.
|24th October – first AGM of golf club takes place. Held at Saunders Boat Yard, Goring, with Colonel Alfred Harcourt in the chair.
|First lady, a Mrs Todd, elected to the committee. Appointment of J Forrest as professional.
|First club match against Peppard. Goring & Streatley won 19 to 2.
|Move to new clubhouse in 1 Golf Cottages, Rectory Road.
|Streatley Bowl competition founded with cup presented by club members living in Streatley.
|First ladies competition inaugurated, known as the Ladies Bowl.
|Goring Cup competition founded with cup presented by members living in Goring.
|Changes to the original course begin under the advice of revered designer Harry Colt (Sunningdale, Wentworth etc.). These become the steps which will enable the Club to become a full 18 holes.
|14th October – The first purpose built clubhouse (the third in the clubs history) opened and was celebrated on 17th October with an Open competition. This clubhouse is the house at the west end of the car park known as the Old Golf House.
|Land south of the B4009 leased from Major J A Morrison, of Basildon House, to extend the course. A further seven holes were constructed under the supervision of J H Turner, of Frilford Heath Golf Club.
|J H Turner revamps some of the original holes and builds two new holes on the north side of the B4009, thereby extending the course to 18 holes. These were opened for play on the 3rd of October.
|25th March – Reginald Powys-Lybbe, the owner of the golf course, Rectory Farm and Thurle Grange estate dies. His son Antony inherits. November – Rectory Farm and Thurle Grange Estate up for sale, including the golf course and clubhouse.
|14th October – date of conveyance of original nine hole course purchased from Antony Powys-Lybbe. The purchase also included the clubhouse and land on which the present 1st, 5th, 6th and 18th holes are situated.
|Leased land south of B4009 purchased from Lord Iliffe.
|Greenwell Cup inaugurated. Move into new clubhouse (the fourth) on site of present building. 25th October – club holds its first AGM in its new clubhouse.
|Land exchanged between golf club and Lord Iliffe to extend 7th and 13th holes and construct new 11th and 12th holes.
|Land to the right side of the 15th fairway bought from Ernest Blacker Vignoles, of Little Orchard, Streatley for turf nursery.
|Roy Mason joins as club’s professional.
|Roy Mason sets club record of 63.
|Clubhouse enlarged during second half of year.
|John Cook wins English Amateur Championship at Royal St Georges.
|Len Hawting retires as head greenkeeper after 45 years.
|Automatic sprinkler system installed on greens and tees.
|Carl Mason wins British Youths Championship.
|Title of Honorary Secretary abolished and John Bohanna becomes first Secretary of the club to receive a remuneration.
|Jess Riley became first salaried Secretary and Manager on John Bohanna’s retirement. 5th June – first pro am tournament resulted in a three-way tie between Michael King, Ken Bousfield of Coombe Hill and Basil Proudfoot of Berkhamstead, all with a score of 70.
|30th June, Tony Jacklin, with a 67, won challenge match against Carl Mason (70).
|David Lane wins English Golf Union Champion of Champions Tournament at Ashridge Golf Club.
|Captains David Lane & Chris Carter, and Club President Frank Williams cut the centenary cake
|Clubhouse demolished and in September the new clubhouse (the fifth) opened by Sir Michael Bonallack, who was then Secretary of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews.
|Simon Pardoe wins British Boys Championship at Formby.
|Simon Pardoe wins Welsh Amateur Championship at Ashburnham, Llanelli.
|Car park enlarged and practise ground constructed near 17th green.
|The year started with the Club Captains teeing off on New Years Day in period costume, and the highlight of the year was the Centenary Ball in the summer. A big effort went into the production of a centenary year book which covered the first hundred years of the Club’s history.
|David Lane wins British Seniors Amateur Championship at Glasgow Gailes and Western Gailes.
|David Lane wins the Club Championship for the 14th time spanning five decades.
|Club’s first website launched.
|Refurbishment of all bunkers commenced.
|New Greenkeepers Complex opened.
|Drainage project completed, including a pond on the 8th hole.
|Refurbishment of all bunkers completed.
|Course pathways re-constructed using rubberised products.
|Course: 1st Tee and 12th Green re-constructed.
|Clubhouse: Restaurant refurbished, kitchen re-equipped and disabled access
facilities upgraded to include a bridge at the back of the Clubhouse, so
disabled people can access the upper floor at a cost of £200,000.